News — We’re turning 30!
Rams Walk opened an amazing 30 years ago this year!
We’ll be giving out sweet treats and collecting for charity on our anniversary, plus, there will be the chance to WIN a £30 gift card on our social media channels… But what else was happening in 1993? We’ve collated some fun facts below!
News from 1993
- The World Wide Web was introduced.
- Buckingham Palace opened its doors to the public for the first time.
- Ford unveiled the new Mondeo, a replacement for the long running Sierra.
- Nelson Mandela and President F.W. de Klerk of South Africa were rewarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- John Major was Prime Minister and the Chancellor was Norman Lamont, to be succeeded by Kenneth Clarke on the 27th May
Music in 1993
- ‘Young at Heart’ by The Bluebells made no. 1 – it was re-released after appearing in a Volkswagen ad.
- Boyzone were created by talent manager Louis Walsh.
- Take That got their first No.1 with ‘Pray’.
- The biggest selling single of the year was Meat Loaf with ‘I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That) – succeeded by Mr Blobby, a character from Noel’s House Party (which became Xmas No.1).
- Rick Astley ‘retired’ at age 27 after selling 40 million records in a 5 year period.
Books published in 1993
- John le Carre – The Night Manager
- Sebastian Faulks – Birdsong
- Margaret Atwood – The Robber Bride
- Irvine Welsh – Trainspotting
- Vikram Seth – A Suitable Boy
Movies released in 1993
- Jurassic Park
- Sleepless in Seattle
- The Matrix
- Groundhog Day
- Mrs. Doubtfire
Sports News in 1993
- Linford Christie became the Champion of the World in the final of the men’s 100 metres in Athletics.
- Wimbledon winners were Pete Sampras & Steffi Graf
- Manchester United won the first Premier League, their first title in 26 years.
- Shane Warne bowled the so-called “Ball of the Century” to Mike Gatting at Old Trafford
- Alain Prost won the Formula One World Championship, driving for Williams-Renault
British TV Launches in 1993
- Breakfast with Frost
- Peak Practice
- Jools’ Annual Hootenanny
Born in 1993
- Ariana Grande (singer)
- Zayn Malik (singer)
- Harry Kane (footballer)
- Stormzy (rapper)
- Harry Maguire (footballer)
What things cost in 1993
- Litre of Petrol – 46p
- Pint of Milk – 34p
- Loaf of Bread – 75p
- Pint of Lager – £1.54
- Average House price – £55,057